Ugh. I have been seriously fighting the battle of the bulge since giving birth to my daughter 15 months ago (who was only a mere 6lbs btw). I actually gained very little during the pregnancy but have had totally out of whack hormones since and have gained more since her birth than I did during. And, in the interest of full discloser I was carrying extra weight before I got pregnant with her. So I have started a few natural things to help stabilize the hormones and increase my energy, but now I must commit to hitting the gym and being extra vigilant in healthful eating and lifestyle habits. Now I tend to be fairly conscientious of what I feed my family as a whole. We eat primarily organic, lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains and beans but I also have a few really, really bad habits.
So let me confess:
1. I drink coke (regular, not diet) daily. Usually 2-3 cans a day.
2. We eat dinner pretty late (usually during the 7-8pm hour). By this time I am tired and starving and greatly overeat.
3. I am not formally exercising. I am in constant movement with the kids, but I am not getting any serious cardio or strength training.
4. I will tell you I do yoga but I do it in my living room with my children climbing on top of me like I am their personal jungle-gym. Thus it really is not that effective.
5. I do not sleep well, and am therefore tired all the time. This is extra bad for me because I am a fatigue eater. I eat mindlessly when I am tired. I will find myself perusing the kitchen with no direction just munching on anything I can find when I am not the slightest bit hungry, just tired. The few times I have forced myself (and had the opportunity) to take a power-nap, the munchies magically go away.
6. I reward myself with food.
7. I am a social eater. It is hard for me to imagine a social situation without something to nosh on. I think this is the equivalent to an alcoholic not being able converse with a group of people without booze.
I have joked for awhile now that I am a reverse-anorexic (no I do not think anorexia is funny). I think of myself, and even see in the mirror, the skinny me. But pictures…oh the pictures do not lie. So, today I begin the journey. I am going to the gym tonight for my first (alone) workout in a long time. I am starting the menu planning and will slowly and steadily work on the list above. I am thinking of starting another blog just to chronicle the process. I would use actual numbers (YIKES!). Other than to be nosy to see what my fat bootie actually weighs in at, would you read it?
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Battle of the Bulge
I am a free spirit, growing in my creative desires. I write, read, sew, knit, craft and garden. I am striving to live a more natural life everyday for Mother Earth but mostly for the health and well being of my children. I am above all committed to my family, my hilarious husband and life partner of 15 years makes sure I laugh every day. We cloth diaper, babywear, share sleep, and generally live a child led existence. I am strongly against the idea that children must be socialized but believe vehemently in the idea that children need their parents close and always - until. Until they are ready to leave and explore. Lest you think my life is too tranquil and nothing but sitting and reading books while children play with handmade toys; I spend the better part of my days wiping noses and butts, cooking, cleaning, cooking and cleaning some more, figuring out where that (insert any bizarre item you can think of here) came from, and explaining why Mama needs a TO and nap. Above all, I am human. I fail myself and family everyday and every day I am committed to give tomorrow another shot. Because after all, tomorrow will provide another opportunity to smile and laugh!
|Get a hit counter here.|